Tuesday, March 31, 2015

You are everywhere, whether I like it or not

May
I spin your class ring around my finger.
Getting you off my mind is something           I
Am having trouble with, when I see you
Every time I glance at my hands.

June
Summer walks with you,
Swing sets and flip flops and sunsets
And coconut chapstick, and I                     can’t
Imagine a more perfect moment.

July
Kaitlyn catches us kissing.
My best friend of three years
calls me a bad Mormon.
And she’s probably right.

August
“I need space,” I                                    say.
You hesitate and then kiss me.
And there is definitely                             no
space.

September
After I send the text,
I break down sobbing.
But you can’t persuade me out of
Breaking up with you,
When you’re not here.

 October
I cannot go more than a week
Without giving in and texting you.
How do you still hold such
power over me?

 November
If I thought seeing you
would ease some of the loneliness,
I was wrong.
I turn                                                   to
leave,
And you grab my arm,
Pull me back and kiss me.
And just like that,
We’re back together.

December
You keep telling me how
Mormons are a cult.
And that I’ve been brainwashed
By the people I trust most.
But I trust                                           you
too?

 January
The loose thread on my mother’s comforter
Is far more interesting than her disappointed mouth
And critical, searching eyes.
Especially after I just told her
I’m giving up on church.

No comments:

Post a Comment