Sunday, November 1, 2020

Familiarity with Luke

I was watching TV with Luke the other day. We were just sitting on the couch next to each other. I reached over to put my hand on his leg and he wrapped his hand over mine like I knew he would, smoothing his thumb along the back of my palm for a moment.

We were in the grocery store, standing in front of an aisle, trying to choose something. Luke leaned over and put a casual hand on my waist, drawing me near and pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

I couldn't sleep, so I was scrolling on my phone while Luke slept peacefully next to me. He stirred and flopped his arm around for a minute until he bumped into me. Having found me, he curled his body around mine. Just wanting to be close to me, even in sleep.

Luke and I aren't really in the honeymoon phase anymore. We don't have to be touchy-feely. It's just .. nice. And that sounds so dumb and cliche and like we are in the honeymoon phase but honestly, it's just nice to be this familiar with someone, to be able to be in contact with them throughout the day, a wordless reassurance here and there.

One of my first posts here for you was wanting to be familiar with you. To learn how you kiss, to talk about the stupidest and most insignificant things from our days. To know you and have you know me. And I have that now. I know it's not that special or unusual. There'd be familiarity with anyone who is around basically 24/7. It's doesn't mean he and I have an unbreakable, perfect relationship.

But it's a nice little box to check anyway :)

Please always have the familiarity that lets you kiss the top of my head in the freezer aisle, and know that I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment