Saturday, September 19, 2015

Things I can't wait to share with you

I shake my hair from my shoulders. Some of it sticks to my neck, damp with the last of the summer air. It’s been six hours of waiting in 90 degree weather with no shade, but now the sun is going down and we’re roasting s’mores and making friends with the people sharing our firepit. A flower falls out of Grace’s braid and I bobby pin it back in.
Soon enough they’re lighting the demo, showing us how to hold the edges so the paper doesn’t burn. And then…the man over the speaker says to go ahead.
It takes me a moment to light the middle, but when I get it, it flares up, bright and surprising against the night sky. My fingertips shake against the lip. The light steadies and the paper expands, filling with warm air. As it does, a spiraling red pattern unfurls—with swoops and curls and flowers. It’s my signature doodle and boy did I have a lot of time to doodle while we waited.
This is worth the wait.
People around are in all stages of trying to light their lanterns, from struggling with lighters to holding tight while they fill with warm air, to just watching, heads tipped back. There’s the gentle murmur of a crowd in awe, just audible over the music coming through the speakers. Tangled. They are playing Tangled. This couldn’t get much better.
It’s been a minute, so I loosen my grip to check the balance. It sways for a moment, coming dangerously close to burning the red swirly side, before straightening out, tugging upward.
So.. I let go.
My lantern lifts into the sky, joining the others—there must be hundreds, maybe thousands, all different colors and shapes and designs. Some have scorch marks on the side. I keep my eyes on my lantern, pressing my lips together. It nudges another. Don’t fall. Don’t fall. But it doesn’t. It goes up and up and up until I can’t tell it apart from the others, and they float away.
Grace steps to my side, nudging me and I smile at her. She grins back, eyes wide with the same excitement. Together we take in the sky and I couldn’t be more grateful to be sharing this with my best friend.
I do a slow circle, taking in the glowing lights surrounding me, from the horizon to as far up as I can see. The lanterns are gleaming and the music is building and my heart is swelling, like my chest can barely contain it.
My face is aching from smiling so big, but I seriously can’t help it. I feel filled with joy, something that shouldn’t be so rare, but it is. There’s nothing to spoil this and so I just smile and give into the moment, letting everything else slip away, floating, up and up and up.
         Please be prepared for constant Tangled references and know that I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment